Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Frites (no longer OT, but it's not stopping anyone else)

Charlotte replied:

>> What is Jeffrey Steingarten's method for fries?

> Two-stage frying. Fry at a lower temperature, drain, heat up the oil to a
> higher temp (425 IIRC) and put those taters back in to brown up.
>
> That way you get frites that are both crispy and cooked through.

Hm...the two-stage frying is pretty well-known nowadays; I'd never seen
Jeffrey Steingarten's name attached to it. Come to think of it, I've seen
that method used on "Iron Chef America" when Steingarten was a judge, and
nobody mentioned his writing about it. Is it in _The Man Who Ate
Everything_, or somewhere else?

Since you used the term "frites," do you prefer them long and skinny? I know
they can be more crispy that way, and I like those sometimes, but I also
like steak fries and the thick stubby fried potatoes which make up the
"chips" in "fish & chips." I mainly like the long skinny frites in the
traditional combinations of moules frites or steak frites, though I think
I'd like to visit this place sometime: www.pommesfrites.ws/menu.htm[1]

Bob, wondering what "Mexican Ketchup" and "Irish Curry" mean there

[1] If (like me) you wondered about the "ws", it turns out that the domain
name is hosted in Western Samoa. I have no idea why the web site for a NYC
eatery would be registered there. From www.name.com/domain-extensions/ws,
"By having a .WS domain, you are showing your company's professional image
and that you value the Samoan market." Ooooookay...