Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lou Decruss[_3_] Lou Decruss[_3_] is offline

Default OT, but it's not stopping anyone else

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:43:14 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Michael "Dog3" wrote:

>> The panhandlers used to really **** me off. Some of them could be
>> very aggressive. Did you know it's legal to panhandle in the city of
>> St. Louis? A cop I know said it's not illegal for people to
>> panhandle but he told me a couple of exceptions which I don't
>> remember.

>Some that work the suckers in heavily - touristed places here (Michigan Ave,
>Navy Pier, etc.) make pretty good money I'd guess...then there are the "I've
>lost my wallet and I need $3.25 to get home on the commuter train
>tonight..." scammers.

I'm sure we all have stories about panhandlers-scammers-people in
need.

There was a news blurp on one of the Chicago stations about them a few
years back and some claim to make as much as 60 grand a year. What
really shocked me as they'd admit it on camera.

I was leaving Ikea in Shaumburg a few years ago and some chick was
driving around the parking lot claiming she just got off work and
asked me for 5 bucks for gas money to get home. The lot there is huge
and by the time I got out she probably asked 15 more people before I
got out. And the way she was driving probably used a gallon of gas.

But sometimes people in need can leave an unsettled feeling in your
heart if you don't know if they really do need it.

In January of last year we spent an evening at the Marriott on
Hubbard. In celebration of our birthdays we were hosted to the room
with the hosts having an adjoining room. We got there early afternoon
and played board games, enjoyed the view for the 22nd floor, chatted
and laughed, and had many cocktails. Then walked over to Maggiano's.
Maggiano's sucks but the day and evening were wonderful. We'd brought
lots of food with us for the afternoon so I was full of gin and
crackers so I just ordered a beer and had a sampling of whatever
Louise had ordered. I didn't even like the way Maggiano's smelled.

We went back to the rooms and changed into more comfy clothes and I
went down to ground level for a smoke. While outside I dealt with the
usually cigarette beggars and a young woman with a short story about
needing 40some bucks for a train fare to get home. She said even a
dollar would help. I said I didn't have any money which was true
because my wallet was upstairs and there was nothing but plastic in it
anyway.

She moved on and I had the usual people and their bullshit annoy me
until I finished smoking. But I notice there was something unusual
about her as she approached others and it seemed she truly didn't
belong there.

I went upstairs and people were in the shower, dozing off from the
food coma, and the TV was boring. I had a beer and chatted a bit and
went back to the street. She was still there but now sitting on her
suitcase. I'm very outgoing and talkative and started a conversation.

I ended up spending close to an hour with her. Louise was furious.
She claimed to be from Kansas or Nebraska or one of the states that
would not make someone capable of dealing with the streets of Chicago.
She and her boyfriend had wanted to move here so he came to try to
find work. He ****ed up and ended up in Cook County Jail. She came
here thinking she could get him out and found out city life is a bit
different than living in a town where people know you. He was not
getting out.

She offered no information on her own but was willing to answer any of
my questions from my drunken curiosity. She had only been here a few
days. She found a shelter but found out what a bad time they are and
had slept on a train the night before. The last time she ate was 2
days before when someone gave her a mcShitties hamburger. I told her
I'd go get some food if she was hungry but I wasn't giving her any
money. She said: "Thank you, I'm hungry." I went up and did my
typical over-plating thing and brought down a meal for her. Being
sceptical I kinda thought she'd be gone as I told her she wasn't
getting any money. It took close to 15 minutes to get back to the
street but she was there sitting on her suitcase waiting when I
returned. She thanked me and proceeded to chow like a famished dog.
By this time Louise was annoyed and sent one of the hosts to see if I
was "OK." That worked out good for me because it was the only
validity I had to verify this was a bazaar situation and I wasn't
getting a "paid-for" BJ in some doorway. She wrapped up what she
didn't eat in napkins she had in her suitcase and carefully stashed
everything for the next time she needed to eat.

She thanked me and wheeled her suitcase to wherever she was going to
spend the night. I went back to my nice hotel room and had another
gin. By this time Louise was very annoyed with me. I told her and
the other couple we'd be best leaving the talk until the morning when
I was sober.

In the morning we packed up and drove to our friends house in LaGrange
Park. I was asked about what the hell had happened the night before.
Between the ride and the brunch conversation I was branded the jerk
for not giving the woman the money to get home. Louise and the other
woman both had tears in their eyes.

Being over served didn't help, but I'll never know what "really"
happened that night, if she was telling the truth, or if I did the
right thing.

Lou