Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 30 Jul 2009 09:13:05a, Jean B. told us...
>
>> (I am waiting for my daughter to go out before I go out looking
>> for WL.)
>>
>> Thanks, Wayne. I have been looking at the White Lily website and
>> note that they say an additional 2 Tbsps WL flour should be used
>> per cup if subbing for AP flour.
>>
>> I was also looking at recipes for biscuits, which I will compare
>> with my standard (from James Beard's American Cookery).
>>

> This is the recipe I use, Jean. I've had it so long that I don't remember
> where it came from.
>
> Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits
>
> 2 C. White Lily Flour
> 1 1/2 t. baking powder
> 1/2 t. baking soda
> 1/2 t. salt
> 1/4 C. leaf lard, cut into small chunks
> 3/4 C. buttermilk
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees
>
> 2. Prepare ingredients: Cut lard into small chunks, place in a bowl and
> return to fridge. Measure out buttermilk and set aside. Sprinkle flour on a
> work surface and have extra flour nearby for your hands and biscuit cutter.
> Have biscuit cutter and an ungreased baking sheet handy
>
> 3. Mix dough: In a medium-large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder,
> baking soda and salt until very well blended. Add lard and cut into flour
> using a pastry blender, two knives or your fingertips, until mixture
> resembles coarse crumbs. Pour in buttermilk and stir lightly until dough
> comes together in a ball.
>
> 4. Knead dough and cut biscuits: Dump dough mixture out onto floured work
> surface. With floured hands, lightly knead dough a few times until it is
> fairly well blended. Pat out into a circle, 3/4 - 1 inch thick. Dip cutter
> into flour and cut biscuits without twisting the cutter. Form the dough
> scraps into an extra biscuit-like shape instead of re-rolling the dough.
> Place cut biscuits together on the baking sheet so that the sides are
> touching. Brush tops with melted butter, if desired.
>
> 5. Bake biscuits: place baking sheet in the middle of a preheated 500
> degree oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove
> biscuits to a wire rack to cool for a few minutes.
>
> Note 1: You may brush the tops of the unbaked biscuits with softened
> butter if you wish.
>
> Note 2: If using White Lily Self-Rising Flour, omit leavening and salt
> from recipe.
> __________________________________________________ _____________________
>
> Here's some additional information about flour:
>
> Cake flours (Swans Down, Softasilk):
> 7.5 to 8.5% protein
>
> Bleached southern all-purpose (White Lily, Martha White, Gladiola, Red
> Band):
> 7.5 to 9.5% protein
>
> National brand self-rising (Gold Medal, Pillsbury):
> 9 to 10% protein
>
> National brand bleached all-purpose (Gold Medal, Pillsbury):
> 10 to 12% protein
>
> Northern all-purpose (Robin Hood, Hecker’s):
> [...]

Thanks for the recipe and now for the information on the flour
too. It turns out that a) I couldn't find the White Lily, so now
I have a query out on that too; and b) that the AP flour I have is
about as far away as possible from White Lily as far as protein
goes. It does look like I'd be wise to blend that AP with pastry
flour.

--
Jean B.