Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

On Thu 30 Jul 2009 09:13:05a, Jean B. told us...

> (I am waiting for my daughter to go out before I go out looking
> for WL.)
>
> Thanks, Wayne. I have been looking at the White Lily website and
> note that they say an additional 2 Tbsps WL flour should be used
> per cup if subbing for AP flour.
>
> I was also looking at recipes for biscuits, which I will compare
> with my standard (from James Beard's American Cookery).

This is the recipe I use, Jean. I've had it so long that I don't remember
where it came from.

Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits

2 C. White Lily Flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 C. leaf lard, cut into small chunks
3/4 C. buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees

2. Prepare ingredients: Cut lard into small chunks, place in a bowl and
return to fridge. Measure out buttermilk and set aside. Sprinkle flour on a
work surface and have extra flour nearby for your hands and biscuit cutter.
Have biscuit cutter and an ungreased baking sheet handy

3. Mix dough: In a medium-large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder,
baking soda and salt until very well blended. Add lard and cut into flour
using a pastry blender, two knives or your fingertips, until mixture
resembles coarse crumbs. Pour in buttermilk and stir lightly until dough
comes together in a ball.

4. Knead dough and cut biscuits: Dump dough mixture out onto floured work
surface. With floured hands, lightly knead dough a few times until it is
fairly well blended. Pat out into a circle, 3/4 - 1 inch thick. Dip cutter
into flour and cut biscuits without twisting the cutter. Form the dough
scraps into an extra biscuit-like shape instead of re-rolling the dough.
Place cut biscuits together on the baking sheet so that the sides are
touching. Brush tops with melted butter, if desired.

5. Bake biscuits: place baking sheet in the middle of a preheated 500
degree oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove
biscuits to a wire rack to cool for a few minutes.

Note 1: You may brush the tops of the unbaked biscuits with softened
butter if you wish.

Note 2: If using White Lily Self-Rising Flour, omit leavening and salt
from recipe.

Here's some additional information about flour:

Cake flours (Swans Down, Softasilk):
7.5 to 8.5% protein

Bleached southern all-purpose (White Lily, Martha White, Gladiola, Red
Band):
7.5 to 9.5% protein

National brand self-rising (Gold Medal, Pillsbury):
9 to 10% protein

National brand bleached all-purpose (Gold Medal, Pillsbury):
10 to 12% protein

Northern all-purpose (Robin Hood, Hecker’s):
11 to 12% protein

Northern unbleached all-purpose (King Arthur):
11.7% protein

Bread Flour:
11.5 to 12.5% protein

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that