Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

Sheldon blathered:

> Brioche is technically a bread but in actuallity is more an eggy yeast
> cake like babka.

Brioche is egg bread. Challah is routinely substituted for brioche in
recipes which call for brioche. Are you now going to claim that challah is a
cake? Are you THAT stupid?

> Brioche is baked in a mold, like a cake, at a lower temperature than true
> breads, therefore the butter won't burn.

....except for when brioche is cooked as a loaf. Or when brioche dough is
formed into pocket or rolls, or used to encase salmon for coulibiac.

I bake brioche at 375°F, exactly the temperature at which I cook other
"true" bread loaves. Maybe you're confusing baking brioche with baking the
Digiorno pizza you make when you want a romantic evening with your NAMBLA
protégé.

> Brioche is more often baked with a filling (cheese) and is rarely used for
> sandwiches, it's more a dessert, served with a fruit preserve topping.

What do you mean "more often"? Please provide a cite for this bullshit.

Brioche fillings can include just about anything savory. Brioche pockets
filled with beef and mushrooms are awesome. Brioche rolls filled with duck
confit and mango are beyond awesome. _Baking With Julia_ recommends filling
them with a mixture of spiced mashed potatoes, asparagus, and peas.

You have never made brioche in your too-long life, you posturing clown, so
you should just shut the **** up about it.

Bob