Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex[_4_] vex[_4_] is offline

Default What I did yesterday:

piedmont wrote:
> "vex" > wrote in message
> snip
>> I left the brisket wrapped in foil overnight, just sitting on the
>> counter. It was still warm and juicy this morning. I sampled it
>> before I cut it into smaller pieces to fit in the fridge. I'll
>> probably get out the slicer tonight, slice it nice and thin, then
>> vaccum pack it all in individual servings to freeze. Except for
>> about a pound of it. That's going into some bbq beans.

> snip
>> --Brett

> I wouldn't recommend leaving on the counter as the temp may drop too
> low. If you wrap in foil, put it in one of those round/orange igloo
> coolers, put some newspaper in bottom to soak up any spillage plus
> insulate the plastic on the cooler bottom from warpping then stick in
> wrapped brisket, then lightly lay on top enough towels to take up
> empty air space and your brisket should stay hot and in a safe
> holding temp zone.

My wife is a restaurant manager, and she's always naggi^H^H^H^H making sure
I follow proper food handling rules. This particular time I figured since
I'd be eating it all myself, and when reheating it will be heated to the
proper temp, it wasn't going to be a big deal. Had I been serving it in a
restaurant, or to visiting guests or other family members, I'd have been
more careful about keeping the temps where they should be. I've had food
poisoning before and you're right, it's not fun at all. But, I'm a pretty
hardy soul and eat all sort of bugs without ill effect these days. I'm not
very worried about my cooked and wrapped beef coming out of the oven at 190
and sitting for 6 or 7 hours when the temp inside the house is 80deg.

FWIW, the point came out really well. I made some sandwiches with it
yesterday. The flat was still a bit tough, it could have stayed in a couple
more hours, easily. I've been thinking about taking the flat and putting it
into my crock pot to slow cook for a few more hours, but I can't decide how
I should handle putting liquid in the crockpot to aid cooking...

--Brett