Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Donald[_3_] Donald[_3_] is offline

Default Catawba Grapes for Winemaking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:19:06 -0700 (PDT), Strongarm
> wrote:

>I've been making 100% Catawba wine for over 10 years. It has it's own
>particular rose type aroma and flavor. Catawba;s history is very
>exciting for an American grape. It was crossed with Bacho in the
>middle 17th Century. It won a blue ribbon at Paris, France World's
>Fair in 1900. There are two distinct methods of fermenting this pink
>grape. The blue ribbon recipe basically creates a fairly dry white by
>fermenting only the juice and the other method is to ferment on the
>skins to build an amber color sweet wine. Both are good and I would
>recommend you try them before deciding to blend.

Sounds like it would make a nice wine by itself. I'll try it on the
skins first.

Any idea how many years it would be before I would get a modest
harvest, say 5 or 6 pounds, to make a gallon of wine?

These vines are each maybe 3 feet tall, first year plantings.