Peter Dy

Default Chinese Sausages

"ggull" > wrote in message
> "slim" > wrote
> > ggull wrote:
> > > Hmm... Does one use less water, even a 1:1 ratio, for cooking regular

> rice
> > > in a cooker? I've always used a pot, don't even own a rice cooker,

and
> the
> > > classic ratio is 2:1 for basic white rice of most varieties.

> > The "classic" ratio is dead wrong!
> > It depends on the type of rice you use, and your preference.
> > Dry and crumbly to moist and sticky, everyone likes their rice different
> > I use Vitarroz for everyday. 2 cups rice and 2 1/3 cups water.
> > EXPERIMENT and WRITE DOWN your results.
> > Its YOUR preferences that matter, not some recipe writer.
> >
> > Buy small quantites and PLAY! HAVE FUN! EXPLORE!

> I couldn't agree more. Whenever someone claims to have the one true

proper
> and correct recipe or way to cook something, my mind tunes out. Any

recipe
> is an inspiration, not a prescription. As someone else pointed out, even
> the same rice changes with age and may require a bit more water to get
> similar results (but never the same). There are so many ways to cook

rices,
> depending on variety and the desired result, and they're all good :-).

Ok. But "all good"? I think it has more to do with personal preference --
I like my rice on the firm side, so with a fresh bag of Thai new crop
jasmine rice, I prefer a 1:1 ratio. Those recipes that call for mushier
rice, well, as my friend in Leningrad used to say, "Mushy rice, no good!"

> I've currently got a mess of different kinds of rice that I enjoy:
> -- parboiled rice from a Brazilian store
> -- Thai jasmine
> -- Indian basmati
> -- Thai red jasmine rice, and similar 'cargo' rice
> -- 'new crop' Tamaki gold from Calif
> -- Kagayaki brown from Calif
> -- french camargue in japanese packaging (waiting to open this brick until

> reduce some other inventory)
>
> my favorites are the Kagayaki (quick cooking for a brown) and the red rice
> (wonderfully chewy). For chopstick rice, the jasmine.

Woah! Camarada, where do you live? What's "Thai red jasmine rice"? And
I've seen Indian/Pakistani parboiled rice, but never Brazilian.
Interesting.

Peter