ggull

Default Chinese Sausages

"DC." > wrote
> Cooking rice in a pot/medium saucepan+lid. Do as you would normally for

rice
> cooker, wash & rinse rice etc. Finally pour in water. You might want to
> double the amount of water to rice 2:1 etc. depending on the type of rice
> you use. Also cooking rice in a pot this way, you lose a lot of the water
> through boiling, hence the 2:1 water to rice ratio. This is slightly
> different from a rice cooker being that the lid is left off until the

water
> boils down & has evaporated & all you see is the soft grains bubbling

gently
> on top of the rice.

Hmm... Does one use less water, even a 1:1 ratio, for cooking regular rice
in a cooker? I've always used a pot, don't even own a rice cooker, and the
classic ratio is 2:1 for basic white rice of most varieties. But that is
covered from the time it comes to an initial boil. Otoh, it's the same 2:1
per the instructions on a bag of basmati rice prepared about as you suggest,
but that's after soaking the rice so it's probably picked up some extra h2o
that way. (Question sparked by discussion with a Chinese friend who had
never cooked rice except with a rice cooker [was amazed to find a primitive
American using a stovetop!], and thought the standard ratio was 1:1 though
she always just used the marks on the cooker.)

This is when you would put the lid on & also the time to
> add your sausages in (also season minced pork, veg, mushrooms, beaten egg
> etc. etc. if you're making other 1 pot rice+meat dishes.) After you've put
> in your sausages, cover with lid & simmer at the lowest possible flame for
> 10-15 minutes. depending on how much rice you're cooking. Leaving the lid

on
> for a few extra minutes after the 10-15mins. of simmering always helps to
> get the rice perfect.

I'll have to try this method for the one-pot meals, which I do like to do
being lazy about washing dishes :-). It sounds like it would be a bit
easier than trying to guess when to pop the lid to add the ingredients to be
steamed.