Posted to alt.food.barbecue
RegForte RegForte is offline

Default Rubs

Nonny wrote:

> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
> message ...
>
>> So if you sub powders for garlic and celery salts, do you then add
>> salt to
>> the recipe?

> Yes. I consider salt to be an essential ingredient. However, I don't
> feel it's necessary to include it in the rub itself when it's so
> available and easy to add on separately with the rub itself. It also
> lets you 'salt to taste.' For those with BP problems, perhaps they can
> get by with less.

The main reason I leave salt out of rubs is so I can apply
it well ahead of time. There are all kinds of Q recipes out there
that call for applying the rub the day before. If you do that to
something like pork, and there's very much salt in the rub, it will
actually cure the meat. It ends up with a denser texture and a ham like
flavor. That's ok for a loin cut, sometimes it's what I want, but it
certainly doesn't help ribs any.

I leave the salt out of the rub and apply it just before cooking,
or at least within a reasonable amount of time.