DC.

Default Chinese Sausages

<snip>
> So... one puts the uncooked cut-up sausage pieces over the rice after
> the cooker has clicked off (to "warm")... is this right?

Oh dear, let me explain again....

If you're using a rice cooker, follow instructions for cooking rice. If your
rice cooker has a clear glass lid then you can see when the water has cooked
down until all you see is a little water bubbling on the surface of the
rice, this is the time to put your sausages in, not when it goes click &
warm or ready to serve. If you do not have a clear glass lid, then i suggest
having a peep every now & then. I wouldn't dice the sausages up into tiny
pieces, perhaps just slice them into thick slices would be fine. I prefer to
slice them thick or sometimes leaving them thumbsize etc. you don't want it
to loose all the fat & flavour while steaming it on top of the rice. I only
use a rice cooker when i have no more rings left on my cooker, most of the
time, i use a small or medium size pot or even my old claypot to cook rice.
This is especially good for making claypot rice or other rice+meat dishes.
Typical Chinese all in one pot home cooking.

Cooking rice in a pot/medium saucepan+lid. Do as you would normally for rice
cooker, wash & rinse rice etc. Finally pour in water. You might want to
double the amount of water to rice 2:1 etc. depending on the type of rice
you use. Also cooking rice in a pot this way, you lose a lot of the water
through boiling, hence the 2:1 water to rice ratio. This is slightly
different from a rice cooker being that the lid is left off until the water
boils down & has evaporated & all you see is the soft grains bubbling gently
on top of the rice. This is when you would put the lid on & also the time to
add your sausages in (also season minced pork, veg, mushrooms, beaten egg
etc. etc. if you're making other 1 pot rice+meat dishes.) After you've put
in your sausages, cover with lid & simmer at the lowest possible flame for
10-15 minutes. depending on how much rice you're cooking. Leaving the lid on
for a few extra minutes after the 10-15mins. of simmering always helps to
get the rice perfect. Cooking rice this way is something you'll have to
practise at home with your cooker, pot & type of rice you use. It's not that
difficult & i've been doing it like this since i was a kid. A rice cooker is
easy & simple if you just want coooked rice & no fuss. I hope this helps.

DC.