Jack B

Default Chinese Sausages

In article >,
Arsenio Oloroso > wrote:

> Caught this thread late. Here's a recipe from Mei Leung's "The New
> Classic Chinese Cookbook." I sometimes have this dish for breakfast.
> Quick, filling and mighty tasty!
>
> CHINESE CHIVES AND SAUSAGES WITH EGGS
>
> The Chinese chives are a grass-like, onion-flavored vegetable. They
> come in dark green or yellow. The yellow kind costs at least twice as
> much as the dark-green variety. They are not only delicious, but also
> have the effect of treating male sterility, according to traditional
> Chinese medicine.
>
> PREPARATION OF INGREDIENTS
>
> 4 tablespoons oil
> 3 Chinese sausages: cut each lengthwise, then dice
> 1 pound Chinese chives: wash; cut off about 2 inches of the whitish
> part and discard; cut chives into 1-inch lengths
>
> SAUCE MIXTURE (Mix in bowl)
> 1/4 teaspoon sugar
> 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
> 1 tablespoon thin soy sauce
> 1 teaspoon sesame oil
>
> 6 large eggs: beat with 1/2 teaspoon salt until foamy (Note: I leave out
> the salt)
>
> DIRECTIONS FOR COOKING
>
> 1. Heat wok over high heat and swirl in oil. When oil is hot, add
> sausages and stir-fry for about 12 minute or until they are lightly
> browned. Add chives and stir-fry until they are tender. Add sauce
> mixture and stir to mix well.
> 2. Turn heat to medium. Swirl in egg mixture. Wait until parts of the
> egg are set, then scramble eggs with sausages and chives until eggs are
> done, but still moist. Serve hot.

Oh, sounds so good.

And... just a comment... I've lately been putting cut-up Chinese
sausages into my rice cooker along with the rice. As suggested by a
couple of posters.

Not too happy about that.

The sausages seem to lose a lot of flavor.

So far, I've used the rice/sausage for kimchee fried rice (ooo... I
could live on this stuff... lovely...
[bacon_or_sausage+rice+kimchee+oystersauce]).

Think I'd rather fry the "raw" sausage a bit, then add rice and other
stuff. Will be doing that after I finish the current batch of
rice/sausage.

__
Jack