DC.

Default Chinese Sausages

<snip>
> Wax meat? Never heard of it. Googling it brings up several
> mentions of it on menus, but doesn't say what it is. here's some
> guesses:
>
> 1. Headcheese (gelatinous, but not exactly 'waxy')
> 2. A meatloaf made mostly from solid or solidified fat.
> 3. Meat from the 5-legged wax animal (?)

Hahaa.. the wonders of google! 5 legged wax animal?? that must be the an
escapee from Madame Tussauds wax musuem in London. LOL. I think(might be
mistaken) but the term wax meat comes from the (bad) translation from
Chinese to English. What it is is basically wind dried meat covered in
natural fats etc. You know that flatten duck you sometimes see in Chinatown,
spreadeagled etc. that's a prime example of Chinese wax meat.

> Here's an excerpt from a post of mine a few months ago:
>
> > I found a good brand the other day called "Venus". They're made in
> > City of Industry, CA and come in a pink-labelled package. They're
> > short, squat and round sausages, not long and crinkled like most of
> > the brands. A very good brand, IMO. The only one I'll seek out from
> > now on.

Yes i remember that post & am still looking out for that brand if it ever
turns up in the UK, in the meantime, i still have a very large stockpile of
it from Asia.

> I've had some really bad Chinese sausages. Some sources claim
> that a high liver content is desirable in a good sausage <shrug>,
> but I'm not sure I agree.

That is suppose to be true judging by the way old timers like it. i think
it's all down to taste. From what i know there's pork, 1/2 pork & 1/2liver &
liver Chinese sausages. I don't mind the liver sausages as long as there's
the normal pork ones too. Hmmm... might try & order some when i'm next in
Chinatown.

DC.