Posted to rec.food.cooking
David Harmon[_2_] David Harmon[_2_] is offline

Default choice of flours to thicken after cooking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:37:02 +0100 in rec.food.cooking, "john royce"
> wrote,
>I like to make curries and then thicken them up towards the end of cooking.
>I been told that using cornflour produces a slightly 'gloupy' texture.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

>Which leaves using plain flour or self raising flour. Is there any
>significance difference between using these two? Thanks.

Both will thicken a curry identically, but the leavening additives in
the self-rising flour will be wasted and will increase the sodium
content significantly, if that matters to you.