Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Craig Watts[_1_] Craig Watts[_1_] is offline

Default North Carolina BBQ Ideas

> The western part of NC is best known for "Lexington style" ribs, which
> don't appeal to me. On you way up, take I-70 in and have a plate of
> pulled pork and veggies at Barbecue Lodge or Don Murray's in Raleigh.
> If you're near Rocky Mount, consider Gardners, which is an icon of the
> Eastern NC style as well. Going on west to Ashville, another great
> place is Stamy's in Greensboro. The last time I was there, they were
> still cooking with ONLY wood coals.
>
> Heck, since you won't be going on over to Memphis, stop at Red Hot and
> Blue in Raleigh for their interpretation of Memphis style (dry) ribs.
> If you are still hungry, go back to Barbecue Lodge and get a plate of
> chicken livers and gizzards. Send some to me.

Nonny,

I agree that Lexington Q is not my choice. It is different
with black pepper and the such, but I prefer Eastern NC Q.

Unfortunitly Don Murry's has closed and in IMHO Barbecue
Lodge has slipped several notches.

Bruce, you mentioned that you are heading towards Ashville.
I can list some places but am not sure that you will be in
the middle of the Carolinas.

Wilson, NC Parkers- Delicious.

Chapel Hill, NC- a must see! Allen and Sons (hardwood Hickory)

When you go over to the Greensboro Area you have A & M in
Mebane (also hardwood hickory but more of an all around
checked table cloth diner). Also is Hurshery's sp? Go to the
on on Hwy 70. Not the others.

Good luck. Be sure to buy a desert at Allen and Son's.

Have a safe trip.

Craig