Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default choice of flours to thicken after cooking

john royce wrote:

> I like to make curries and then thicken them up towards the end of cooking.
> I been told that using cornflour produces a slightly 'gloupy' texture.
> Which leaves using plain flour or self raising flour. Is there any
> significance difference between using these two? Thanks.

Curries are typically thickened by cooking down the liquid, often to the
point where only the oil remains. The food is coated with the
cooked-down liquid/paste. If you need starch, then perhaps you are using
too much liquid to begin with.

For a nice finish, if you feel you do need starch-thickening, then try
arrowroot. It's available at any Asian grocery and some 'whole food'
places.