Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Strongarm Strongarm is offline

Default Catawba Grapes for Winemaking

On Jul 1, 9:58*pm, shbailey > wrote:
> Stone Hill Winery in Missouri makes an excellent Catawba blend.http://www..stonehillwinery.com/winesGrapes/pink.aspx
> It tastes pretty much like a white Zinfandel. *It is mostly Catawba,
> but they don't state the percentage. *Catawba is less foxy than
> Concord or Niagara. *Perhaps with blending and sweetness, all negative
> aspects of that trait can be eliminated.
>
> Stephen
>
> On Jun 29, 7:34 pm, Donald > wrote:
>

> > My wife bought me a couple of Catawba grape plants. I will be making a
> > trellis, etc., but I have a question about using them in wine.

> > The Catawba wine I've bought in stores always has 49% of some other
> > grape in the wine, and 51% Catawba.

> > Why is this?

> > From what I've read, it does make good wine, jelly, jam, etc.

> > Can I make a decent wine from this or do I need to mix it with another
> > grape like Niagara or something else?

> > Thanks!!!- Hide quoted text -

I've been making 100% Catawba wine for over 10 years. It has it's own
particular rose type aroma and flavor. Catawba;s history is very
exciting for an American grape. It was crossed with Bacho in the
middle 17th Century. It won a blue ribbon at Paris, France World's
Fair in 1900. There are two distinct methods of fermenting this pink
grape. The blue ribbon recipe basically creates a fairly dry white by
fermenting only the juice and the other method is to ferment on the
skins to build an amber color sweet wine. Both are good and I would
recommend you try them before deciding to blend.