Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default choice of flours to thicken after cooking

Omelet wrote on Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:56:47 -0500:

>> I like to make curries and then thicken them up towards the
>> end of cooking. I been told that using cornflour produces a
>> slightly 'gloupy' texture. Which leaves using plain flour or
>> self raising flour. Is there any significance difference
>> between using these two? Thanks.

> I personally prefer arrowroot or corn starch.

Escoffier did not approve of the taste of uncooked flour and nor do I.
If you can't use a roux, I think cornstarch is best. Certainly, it's all
I would use for Chinese food. I use non-fat yoghurt in curries despite
the conditioned reflex of authors that warn it will curdle. It doesn't
if you mix it with a spoonful or two of flour and in that case the flour
does get cooked.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland