Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default choice of flours to thicken after cooking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:37:02 +0100, "john royce"
> wrote:

>I like to make curries and then thicken them up towards the end of cooking.
>I been told that using cornflour produces a slightly 'gloupy' texture.
>Which leaves using plain flour or self raising flour. Is there any
>significance difference between using these two? Thanks.

There's a big difference between the two. I wouldn't thicken a sauce
with self raising unless I was in a pinch and it was the only thing in
the house to use... but who is ever in that predicament?

Plain flour is, well... plain. Self Raising is more than just flour

Copied and pasted from Wikipedia just for you:

Self-rising or self-raising flour is flour that is sold premixed with
chemical leavening agents. It was invented by Henry Jones.

Self-rising flour is typically composed of the following ratio:

1 cup (100 g) flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) baking powder
a pinch to ½ teaspoon (1 g or less) salt

Here is a discussion on thickening curry.... scroll down to the last,
I think it makes the most sense for a beginner and it sounds like you
are one.

This server seems to be painfully slow, but it has curry recipes (from
different countries) that may give you some ideas about what to do.
http://www.ifood.tv/network/curry_coconut/recipes

Here's our household favorite. We just order it as take out.
Mussman or Massaman Curry video
http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/massaman_curry
recipe with still pictures
http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipes/Masaman_Curry.htm