Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Grilled Flank Steak

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> >Once I get a good hot coal bed, I then add a handfull of small mesquite
> >chunks before putting the meat on. I do not soak them. This gets me
> >some good mesquite smoke going. ;-d
> >
> >But, I _like_ the flavor of mesquite smoke. Not everybody does!

> Aha, so you agree with Bob and Lou then - put the chips directly onto
> the coals... no soaking required.

Indeed. And we get plenty of smoke. Chas did the most delightful brisket
this weekend. Nice smoke ring. :-) He used the offset this time like he
was supposed to so it did not get dried out. He also put a bowl of water
in the smoker to keep the humidity up. Soon's sis' e-mails me the pics,
I'll post them.

> In that case, is soaking supposed
> to be for gas grills?

Not sure. I've never been interested in gas grills so have not studied
up on them. <g>

> Like I said before, I get enough smoke from fat
> dripping down and going up in smoke. I don't want any more than that.
>
> Thanks

Cheers! :-) When I grill, the fire is under the food. When I smoke/BBQ,
the offset gets used and the food is cooked by the heat and smoke from
that. I have an actual smoker that does double duty as a grill. There
is no smoke produced by any dripping fat.

I still will often toss a handful of mesquite on the coals for grilling
tho'.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.