Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Grilled Flank Steak

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:08:44 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> You want smoke,
>> use hickory or fruitwood chips not mesquite.

>Barb, have you ever used Mesquite for smoking?

No, only for grilling. That's what I'm talking about mesquite coal
and charcoal. I think the nay sayers are talking about mesquite
chips.

>Even with as much mesquite as there is around here, I sometimes have to
>purchase it. I prefer wood fires to charcoal so use up the deadwood
>from my own trees in the yard to get a fire going and get good coals. I
>have mostly hackberry, but also elm and post oak. Right now I have a
>bunch of post oak to use up as I have a lot of downed branches.
>
>Once I get a good hot coal bed, I then add a handfull of small mesquite
>chunks before putting the meat on. I do not soak them. This gets me
>some good mesquite smoke going. ;-d
>
>But, I _like_ the flavor of mesquite smoke. Not everybody does!

Aha, so you agree with Bob and Lou then - put the chips directly onto
the coals... no soaking required. In that case, is soaking supposed
to be for gas grills? Like I said before, I get enough smoke from fat
dripping down and going up in smoke. I don't want any more than that.

Thanks

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.