Iris

Default Kaffir Lime leaves

wrote on 2/13/04 3:52 PM:

> > > Hello everybody!

> > snip
> >
> > > What are they supposed to smell like? And why do these ones I bought
> > > smell like soap?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Iris

> > That's what kaffir lime leaf smells like. Go ahead and eat it.

> Mine don't smell like soap. They have a wonderful, well, limey/citrus aroma.
> It is impossible to ever think this is the bad thing.

Well, it was, indeed, the Kaffir lime leaves. Last week my husband and
I had lunch at a very nice Cambodian restaurant. This restaurant is
famous for their amok Angkor-style so we ordered it. When the waitress
brought it to the table, we knew right there that there was nothing
wrong with the Kaffir I had used in that Thai dish at home. I it just
us... Regrettably, we find the aroma of the Kaffir leaves loathsome.

It's just so weird. I love the smell and taste of ginger, lemongrass,
galangal, tamarind, etc., but can't tolerate Kaffir leaves, lemon
verbena or cilantro. Go figure.