Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Ken Blake Ken Blake is offline

Default Do flavorizer bars on Weber Genesis grills rust out?

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:52:44 -0700, "Nonny" > wrote:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> news >
> >
> > I'm new to this newsgroup, and your question is very similar to
> > the
> > one I was just about to ask.
> >

> Several observations, Ken. Before you do too much replacing,
> consider an old self cleaning trick for gas grills. Light the
> burners, set them to the highest temperature and lay heavy duty
> aluminum foil on the cooking grates, shiny side down. Let it go
> until there's no more smoke- around a half hour. The foil
> reflects the heat back into the tub and it's far hotter than even
> an oven on self-clean. When it cools, toss the foil and wire
> brush away the white ash.

Yes, the instructions tell you how to do that. I've done it several
times. It always helps, but it's far from perfect.

In a few minutes, I'll see how the self-cleaning oven did.

> Secondly, you'll find disagreement here in the ng., but I prefer
> SS. We live in the desert, where things "don't rust" normally.
> However, the salt in seasoned meats and veggies cooked on a grill
> will still attract the occasional moisture and will cause
> corrosion and rust. There's a big and positive step up when you
> get porcelain coated cast iron grates and innards, but IMHO the
> ultimate is still the SS innards with the biggest bar stock
> cooking grates you can find.

OK, too late now, since I ordered the porcelain-coated flavor bars
earlier today. If they last the 16 years the first ones did, I'll be
happy.

Thanks.

--
Ken Blake