Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default TN Chateau La Gaffeliere 1966 - surprise, it still is quite drinkable

I had one bottle of Chateau La Gaffeliere 1966 which I opened but
expected to be too old. It was a decent, but not top, wine in the mid
80s and likely at the peak then according to some old reviews. I was
thus not expecting much, and had another bottle of younger wine as a
backup. The fill was still in the low neck, and the cork was still
sound, although a bit soft.

The wine still is fairly deep in color with only moderate age showing
around the rim. There is fairly intense black fruit such as cassis and
blackberry. There is considerable mixed spice. The tannins are a bit
dry as often is the case for old 66s, but not too intense. The acid
balance is good. This is an old style common in Saint Emilion PP (pre-
Parker). Such wines often can take many years to fully develop and
can hold a long time after they mature. They can be very good matches
for some foods. However they often do not make friends when young. I
do not know if anyone makes this type of wine anymore.