Posted to rec.food.preserving
[email protected] rossr35253@forteinc.com is offline

Default Red Currant Jelly

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 17:21:05 -0400, "Kathi Jones" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> Yesterday, Gerry managed to beat the birds to a pretty good haul of
>> red currants from our bushes. We used the Mehu-Maija to juice a bunch
>> of them. Got enough juice to make 18-250ml jars of jelly with about a
>> liter and a quarter of juice left over. With the rest of the currants
>> she made two red currant custard pies.
>> No wonder I can't lose any weight.
>>
>> Ross.

>wow ~ that's alot of berries I would think! Those pies sound yummy!
>
>kathi

There are years when we still have jelly left so we don't bother
picking any currants for jelly, just leave most for the birds.
But, I always want at least one of the pies so we have to pick a few.
If you get alt.binaries.food check out Birthday Pie.

Ross.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Currant Custard Pie

1 9 inch pie shell; partially pre-baked
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup fresh red currants

In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and cream and set aside.
Prepare pastry for a nine inch pie shell and fit into pie plate. Prick
the pastry with a fork, chill until firm then partially blind bake for
10 minutes in a pre-heated 425°F oven. Remove the liner and weights
from the pastry and brush with the egg/cream mixture. Return the
pastry shell to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes, or until
the dough is no longer translucent.
Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F
Add sugar, flour and cinnamon to the remaining egg/cream mixture.
Whisk well then stir in the currants. Pour the mixture into the
prepared pastry shell and bake in the centre of the 325°F oven for 35
to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted
into the center of the custard comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Yield: 6-8 servings