Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Desideria Desideria is offline

Default Do flavorizer bars on Weber Genesis grills rust out?

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 02:32:18 -0700, "Theron" >
wrote:

>"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
m...
>> mark wrote:
>>> I'm tired of my old gas grill (can't remember the name of the
>>> manufacturer), mostly because I have to annually change out the burner
>>> because it rusts out. I'm thinking of getting a Genesis, but don't
>>> want to trade my current gripe with gripe(s) that are worse.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me whether:
>>>
>>> 1. The flavorizer bars rust out?
>>> 2. The burner rusts out?

>> Yes and yes. I have replaced the burner on my old Genesis once in 15
>> years, and I am getting ready to replace the flavorizer bars for the third
>> time. I have also replaced the piezo-electric ignitor twice. The body and
>> lid of the grill are going strong, and there is no reason to replace the
>> whole grill. The parts are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.
>>
>> Do they rust out quickly: NO. When you have a good, sturdy grill like the
>> Genesis (or should I say the early Genesis, since mine is older than one
>> of my teens) I don't see infrequent parts replacement as any big deal.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>>

>Same here. Just replaced my ignitor for the second time in 15 years. The
>biggest difference my Silver B made for me was getting porcelein covered
>cast iron grates for it. Grill with the flat side up and you get a good
>sear. I wish Weber had made that grill, as well as most grills, so you could
>easily partially raise and lock the hood. This would let you better control
>the heat over what's being grilled. I do this with a foil wrapped chunk of
>2X2 wood. On a cool day the lid is propped up about 30 degrees, depending
>on the outside temp, and what you're grilling..
>
>Ed

Thanks, Ed. That's an idea I hadn't considered. Can you tell me more
about how this would work? I'm barely beginning to play with grilling
beyond just following recipes to the best of my ability (even that's a
stretch sometimes...)

Desideria