Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Theron Theron is offline

Default Do flavorizer bars on Weber Genesis grills rust out?

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> mark wrote:
>> I'm tired of my old gas grill (can't remember the name of the
>> manufacturer), mostly because I have to annually change out the burner
>> because it rusts out. I'm thinking of getting a Genesis, but don't
>> want to trade my current gripe with gripe(s) that are worse.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me whether:
>>
>> 1. The flavorizer bars rust out?
>> 2. The burner rusts out?

> Yes and yes. I have replaced the burner on my old Genesis once in 15
> years, and I am getting ready to replace the flavorizer bars for the third
> time. I have also replaced the piezo-electric ignitor twice. The body and
> lid of the grill are going strong, and there is no reason to replace the
> whole grill. The parts are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.
>
> Do they rust out quickly: NO. When you have a good, sturdy grill like the
> Genesis (or should I say the early Genesis, since mine is older than one
> of my teens) I don't see infrequent parts replacement as any big deal.
>
> --
> Dave

Same here. Just replaced my ignitor for the second time in 15 years. The
biggest difference my Silver B made for me was getting porcelein covered
cast iron grates for it. Grill with the flat side up and you get a good
sear. I wish Weber had made that grill, as well as most grills, so you could
easily partially raise and lock the hood. This would let you better control
the heat over what's being grilled. I do this with a foil wrapped chunk of
2X2 wood. On a cool day the lid is propped up about 30 degrees, depending
on the outside temp, and what you're grilling..

Ed