Posted to alt.food.barbecue
RegForte RegForte is offline

Default WOW - What a difference!

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> So here's a question for everybody...
>
> Since you want pulled pork to be a good combination of savory bark and sweet
> white internal meat, it would seem that a good Maillard reaction is
> necessary to achieve the ideal "Mr. Brown - Miss White" state of affairs.
>
> It's my understanding that the Maillard reaction, a complex reaction similar
> to, but yielding better flavor than, carmelization, is based on a
> combination of protein, carbohydrate, and heat in excess of 314F and
> requires a dry surface. Carmelization is a less complex reaction which can
> take place at lower temps which is a reaction between heat and
> carbohydrates.
>
> Often pork is seasoned with sugars in the rub, greatly enhancing the amount
> of available carbohydrate from carmelization. It would seem that at the
> temps most of us use to cook pork, we get a lot of carmelization, but cannot
> achieve that extra-flavorful crusty bark of a Maillard reaction.
>
> This would seem to argue the case for hot-starting the pork.

A good question with a simple answer.

Though most texts you'll find regarding the Maillard reaction
refer to a temperature range of 300 F or more, the fact is
that 300+ is the temperature range that it happens most readily.
It does occur at lower temps, but at a slower rate. So, the
effect is a function of both time and temp, not just temp.

Because of this, your Q gets all the browning effects you need
by virtue of the long cooking times. You don't even actually
need to add sugars, all the necessary components are already there
in the meat. Most of the rather superficial texts you see on
the net about the Maillard reaction fail to reveal this key point.