Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Homemade peanut butter

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 20:40:03 -0400, "Lou" > wrote:

>"Vic Smith" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:05:31 -0500, (Gary Heston)

>> >Sounds like a hobby, to me. They don't have cost-benefit ratios like
>> >normal activities.
>> >

>> Yep. I wonder if time spent on the internet saying "time is money"
>> counts as a waste of money.
>> Far as I'm concerned "time is money" only counts if you're punching a
>> time clock.
>>

>Well, yes and no. If there's a number of different ways to do something,
>and you choose a particular method because you think it saves money (whether
>it actually does or not), then especially if it takes more of your time than
>some other method, it makes a certain amount of sense to take a look at how
>much money per unit time you're talking about. Most of us have more things
>we need to do, plus things we'd like to do, than there is time to do those
>things in. Often, we can "buy" time by spending money. Contrast doing
>laundry by pounding the clothes between rocks down at the local stream with
>tossing them into an automatic washer, for instance. But there's a limit -
>money is not an unlimited resource for most people either.

Right. But if you enjoy doing something, and have the time to do it,
the "time is money" saw fails every time.
I'm much more likely to think that "money is time" when it comes to
paying for something I can do but detest doing.
Tuckpointing, for instance.
I can do it, but I always pay somebody else to do it.
Just hate staring at brick walls. I tried. Couldn't handle it.
How I waste the time thus gained is immaterial.
If I put the time to use making money I could claim "time is money."
But I don't, and most people don't.
This guy spending an hour or two in the evening making peanut butter
wouldn't be pulling in money by not making peanut butter.
Most likely he'd be watching TV or taking a nap.
I mentioned being on the time clock because that's the only time
in my working life that the money I made was based on time.
When I was a pieceworker even the jobs were timed and there
was a direct correlation between time and money.
Even then my hours were basically confined unless I could cop some
overtime, and I did mostly frivolous things when not at work.
Never looked at those things as "I'm not making money," but as "Hey,
it's nice to be off work." Even if doing a home project.
But when I was salaried, I got paid the same whether I worked 20 hours
or 60 hours a week.
Aside from the time spent in education and performing well in your
job, "time is money" is pretty meaningless.
There are exceptions. Hustling salesmen types, and those always
thinking about money.
That's not me, or most people. Otherwise the words "vacation" and
"weekend" and TGIF wouldn't be in the lexicon.

--Vic