Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Hardcore Food/Cooking Books

Sqwertz wrote:

> Recent acquisitions. These are not your typical Rachel Ray or
> Emeril Lagasse books you find in used and second-hand bookstores.

[. . . ]

> Food Processing Technology, 2nd Edition
> http://www.amazon.com/Food-Processin...dp/0895736098/
> Everything you never knew you didn't even care about, in
> excruciating detail. OK, this one be a little dry for some of you.
> But it was really cheap.

I'll have to check that one out. First, I'll have
to check that I don't already have it. Don't you
hate when you buy a book, and discover you already
have a copy? That's happened often enough to me
that I've gotten more careful about it.

Food books are about a third of my vast book
collection, and of that almost none are books
intended for the home cook. Almost all of my
food books are about industrial food technology.
I learn so much more from them. None of them
assume you're an idiot. All of them assume
basic knowledge in chemistry, engineering, etc.
They get right to the point really fast, then
tick off all the information you need to know
if you're working in the branch of food science
they're describing. They don't waste your time
with romantic descriptions of the last time they
toured the south of France or any useless crap
like that. They don't waste precious space with
sumptuous photographs of food, except for the
two books I have specifically on the subject
of food photography.