Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Default Homemade peanut butter

On Fri 26 Jun 2009 08:37:29a, told us...

> I've made nut butters in the kitchen for many years, usually peanut
> butter. It's a money saver and you can see with your own eyes exactly
> what the ingredients are.
>
> I roast the nuts in the oven, although I have made raw cashew butter a
> time or two. My sometime problem is getting a machine that's up to the
> task. I used to work with a Waring blender, and after burning out a few
> motors (they were available for user replacement), I bought an Osterizer
> 10 speed and it lasted for over 20 years on the original motor. It
> finally burned out about two months ago. This old Osterizer was 125
> watts only. Besides the glass blender jar I had a $10 plastic accessory
> that they called a food processor attachment, which I have only used for
> grinding meat on occasion. It's designed very well and does a very nice
> job of meat grinding.
>
> So, in looking for a replacement for my old Osterizer I figured I'd get
> another Osterizer, naturally, inasmuch as the old one lasted 20+ years
> and I still wanted to be able to use the meat-grinding food processor
> attachment. I did some homework and found that the current Osterizer
> blenders are rated at much higher power -- from 450 watts up to 600
> watts or so. About two months ago I picked up a #6694 450 watt 12 speed
> Osterizer Blender at Walmart for around $25. However, it burned out this
> morning making a new batch of peanut butter. I suppose I can get a
> warranty replacement which will work fine for smoothies and such and
> grinding meat, but evidently I need something more robust for nut
> butters. I had been eyeing the "Beehive" Osterizer, which I can get for
> around $55 at Walmart. It's supposed to be 600 watts, supports 2 speeds
> and a flash button (the food processor attachment requires flash). I
> thought I'd post first to get people's opinions and experience before
> shelling out more money, perhaps vainly.
>
> Dan
>
> Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

I have a vintage 1960s Osterizer with a higher power motor, glass jar,
metal housing, etc., and I've used it occasionally to make peanut butter.

However, if I made peanut butter on a regular basis, I would buy a
dedicated machine like this one. The mechanism is entirely different and
is up to the task of producing multiple batches. You'll probably never buy
another one...

http://www.thegreenhead.com/2008/09/...er-machine.php

--
Wayne Boatwright
Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but mouth ~brothels.