KR

Default Authentic/authshmentic -- was: Stir-fry BTUs?

Frogleg wrote:
> Now, back to afa -- should I just overwinter my lemon grass it its
> pot, or maybe dig up and put in water for new shoots indoors? Too bad
> I can't grow water chestnuts. :-)

But you *can* grow water chestnuts! Buy some firm ones without rotten
spots, bury them under an inch or two of moist, sandy soil in a wide
container without drainage, and when they start to send up shoots
maintain the container in a slightly flooded state, letting it dry
back to damp soil occasionally. And keep it blasted with light.
Water chestnut plants look a little like reeds or rushes, and
they spread underground like little damp potatoes.

krnntp

Or just buy jicama. (Ohnos!) (Actually, I am told that one can
also substitute Hamburger Helper for water chestnuts).