Posted to rec.food.cooking
pavane[_3_] pavane[_3_] is offline

Default Ceramic knife sharpening steel or steel steel ?

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
| pavane wrote:
| > "john royce" > wrote in message
| > | Saw a ceramic knife sharpening steel the other day, are they better in any
| > | way than the traditional steel steel?
| > |
| > | One disadvantage is i guess they might crack or chip if dropped on to a hard
| > | floor, but apart from that I'm wondering if they do a better job?
| >
| > I have used one exclusively for the last 10 years or so, and they
| > certainly do a better job, faster sharpening to a finer edge with
| > longer lasting results. Mine is pretty much like this one:
| > http://www.amazon.com/brand-Ceramic-.../dp/B000N5BVN2
| > One caution is that the ceramic will actually sharpen (shave off minute amounts
| > of the steel from the blade) whereas a steel will not, its job is to align
| > the edge of the blade. Given all of that my knives will still outlast me and
| > show no sign of deterioration. You use it the same way as the steel,
| > and I obviously would strongly recommend it.
| >
| > pavane
| >

| How do you clean it?

I use a plastic scrubbing thing (the pad shaped like sos, not the
very fine flat pad that tends to leave residue) and a touch of
the liquid comet cleanser. Apparently there is an eraser
block of some sort around, and there is a ceramic rod cleaner
(liquid) that can be gotten, but I have been happy with the easy
way out. YMMV of course but I only need to clean it about once
a year or so. Other than that common sense: carbon steel knives
leave more residue than stainless but boy do they get sharp!!

pavane