Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Ceramic knife sharpening steel or steel steel ?

john royce wrote:
> Saw a ceramic knife sharpening steel the other day, are they better in any
> way than the traditional steel steel?
>
> One disadvantage is i guess they might crack or chip if dropped on to a hard
> floor, but apart from that I'm wondering if they do a better job?

I've got a set in the cutlery drawer. Two ceramic steels that go into a
wooden block, strop the knife down one side then the other. Have had the
thing for probably thirty years, Does a decent job once you learn how to
use it properly.

Have been wanting a proper steel but the ones in the specialty stores
seem very expensive to me and I already own the ceramic set. You do have
to hand wash them occasionally to get the steel dust off of them.