Posted to rec.food.cooking
blake murphy[_2_] blake murphy[_2_] is offline

Default Servers Strike Back -- Cell Phone Usage

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:38:09 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:

> Serene Vannoy > wrote in
> :
>
>>> I'm surprised he didn't suggest that I "drank the kool-aid" (whatever
>>> that means!).
>>>

>> On the off chance that you really don't know what it means, it's a
>> reference to the Jonestown massacre, in which hundreds of people
>> committed mass suicide by drinking Kool-Aid (though I hear it was
>> really Flavor-Aid) with cyanide in it.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

> That much I am aware of, and it's a expression commonly used by so-called
> conservatives when referring to the freedom of thought expressed by non-
> (so-called)-conservatives. However, if it is intended as a derogatory
> statement, it seems to be a case of "takes one to know one" as few people
> are less able to act freely (that is away from the playbook) than
> conservatives, at least in Canada. And our consies took their cue heavily
> from the Bush Whitehouse.

actually, i'm pretty sure it was first applied to conservatives (in
particular, bush the lesser's acolytes) in the u.s., too. but it's a
well-known page from the karl rove playbook: accuse the opposition of what
you yourself do.

it's complete rubbish, of course - no one follows the party line like
conservatives (except possibly communists). as will rogers said some time
ago, 'I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat.'

your pal,
blake