Peter Dy

Default update: thai cooking requests, etc.

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message

> "Peter Dy" > wrote in message
> >
> > Ah, ok. I think you are right. I've never heard of "red tea".
> >

> It's Rooibos/Rooibois tea from Africa (South Africa, specifically). It's
> really an herb, I think, rather than a true tea. It was very popular in
> Japan at the end of the 90's and one could find it in many vending

machines.
> It was touted as having a number of health benefits. Mariage Freres, my
> favourite tea shop, carries it though probably not that specific tea in

the
> US (stores usually only carry their more popular teas) and definitely not

in
> Canada. I have seen Rooibois at health food stores, though.

Thanks. Had never heard of it. I like herbal teas. But Thai Tea really
has a strong tea (Camellia sinensis) taste; I'm surprised someone might
think it not tea. Rooibos is Afrikaans for "red bush", btw, cognate with
those same English words, in case you were curious.

> >He has nothing on Thai tea, at least after looking at the index; can't

find
> > Thai Tea in Kasma's indexes either.
> >

> It's on her website www.thaifoodandtravel.com/recipes/thaitea.html . She
> says "Take note that the rich orange color of the tea is from food

coloring.
> The tea mix is made of black tea roasted with anise or licorice

flavorings."

Ah, thanks. BTW, I haven't purchased Thai Tea in a while, but the last bag
I bought had the food coloring in a separate little package, so one had the
choice to add it or not.

Peter