Heather Fair

Default update: thai cooking requests, etc.

"Peter Dy"
snip>>> The recipes are what's good about it! And I think the nice, clear
pictures
> of the entire completed dish obviates the need for discussion -- you know
> what the dish is supposed to look like.>>>snip

Good points!

Last night we made 2 dishes that are designed to be used with prawns but
substituted scallops (all we had on hand). Surprisingly good.

The first was a simple dish that just steams the shellfish in a mixture of
oyster sauce, soy sauce, chiles, garlic, etc., then topped with spring onion
(could not find spring onion locally so we used green and white onion) and
pepper.

The second dish was a bit more complicated, similar to Pad Thai with sugar,
chiles, & garlic base but no peanuts or egg. Again, much better results
with this cookbook thus far.

I also tried the coconut ice cream and it turned out well, but did take much
longer to firm up than typical milk or cream or custard based recipes.

Even with some substitutions, we had very good results overall and the
recipes are well laid out. I think I recall someone saying that they didn't
like the book because it made the recipes appear harder than they are (more
steps, etc.). I can see their point but it's really no trouble for me at
least. I'm one that typically reads the whole recipe and then just starts
tossing ingredients together, sans precise measurements.

Heather Fair
Wasilla, Alaska
http://hoofinitnorth.com