Peter Dy

Default update: thai cooking requests, etc.

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message

> "Peter Dy" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >

> > Thai Tea, as we know it in the States, is spiced. What's confusing

about
> > it?
> >
> > Peter
> >

> I suspect the confusing part comes with some websites that say Thai tea is

> red tea. What is commonly known as Thai tea outside of Thailand is the
> spiced (especially with star? anise) black tea that has added food
> colouring. However "real" Thai tea (i.e. tea that is grown in Thailand)

is
> a red-leaf tea. I think it's grown in the North (somewhere around Chiang
> Mai, maybe).

Yeah, I can see some of the confusion. But if the tea is red or if the tea
is black, it makes no difference if it is not spiced (going by the American
definition of Thai Tea). I'm sure Earl Grey is usually made with a certain
type of tea leaf, but if it is not perfumed with whatever Earl Grey is
perfumed with, it is not Earl Grey.

Who would want to drink unspiced tea made with Thai tea leaves anyway? Is
it supposed to be any good?

I'm not sure why people have a hard time finding Thai Tea (US definition).
It's often not called Thai Tea on the label, though. But I've seen it
everywhere I've lived, large bags of it, piled up.

Rona, are you saying the Thai Tea I purchase here, which is made in Thailand
by Thai companies, uses black tea, but that in Thailand, black tea is not
drunken (spiced or not)?

> I think I mentioned before that when I was in Thailand, it was very
> difficult for me to find the spiced tea. We asked at a few grocery stores
> and they seemed confused, then said they didn't carry it. They directed

us
> to the Lipton's and Nestea. When we were in Chiang Mai, one place (where

we
> were drinking the tea) told us to go to a market stall, but when we went
> they only sold the red-leaf tea. Even my relatives, who knew without a
> doubt which tea I was referring to, had no idea what kind of tea to buy

and
> suggested Lipton's. I was very confused.

Yes, I remember that thread. Interesting. I drank Thai Tea (US definition)
several times in Bangkok; tasted the same as the stuff I get in the States.
I didn't try looking for it in stores though.

Peter