Peter Dy

Default update: thai cooking requests, etc.

"Cape Cod Bob" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:04:23 -0900, "Heather Fair"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hello all again. It's been a number of weeks since I returned here but
> >wanted to thank everyone for their great info on Thai recipes. I still

have
> >not found any decent coffee for making Thai Iced Coffee but I have been

able
> >to approximate some of my favorite dishes.

> Heather,
> Thai coffee, and for that matter, Thai tea are both available as
> powders in Thai groceries. For some reason, the Asian markets in NJ
> and southeast MA, do not carry very many Thai ingredients - one must
> go to a Thai grocery. I prepare both the tea and coffee in an
> automatic (Mr. Coffee style) coffee maker with good results after
> seeing one of my favorite Thai restaurants do the same. I suppose
> something like a Malita filter would work also.
>
> They can be found on the net at http://importfood.com/thaiicetea.html
> I am still at a loss as for what makes Thai coffee and tea "Thai,"
> despite asking people and reading.

Thai Coffee, as we know it in the States, is Oliang. Oliang is a mix of
roasted grains and seeds. The brand I have, Pantainorasingh brand, is 50%
coffee, 25% corn, 20% soy beans, and 5% sesame seeds. It doesn't even say
"coffee" on the label, since it's not really coffee (it contains coffee); my
bag says "Oliang Powder Mixed."

Thai Tea, as we know it in the States, is spiced. What's confusing about
it?

Peter