Cape Cod Bob

Default update: thai cooking requests, etc.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:04:23 -0900, "Heather Fair"
> wrote:

>Hello all again. It's been a number of weeks since I returned here but
>wanted to thank everyone for their great info on Thai recipes. I still have
>not found any decent coffee for making Thai Iced Coffee but I have been able
>to approximate some of my favorite dishes.

Heather,
Thai coffee, and for that matter, Thai tea are both available as
powders in Thai groceries. For some reason, the Asian markets in NJ
and southeast MA, do not carry very many Thai ingredients - one must
go to a Thai grocery. I prepare both the tea and coffee in an
automatic (Mr. Coffee style) coffee maker with good results after
seeing one of my favorite Thai restaurants do the same. I suppose
something like a Malita filter would work also.

They can be found on the net at http://importfood.com/thaiicetea.html
I am still at a loss as for what makes Thai coffee and tea "Thai,"
despite asking people and reading. One book says flavorings, esp
vanilla are added to tea. Other sources say it's either a special
blend or a variety of tea. I am beginning to think it's a trade
secret. In the good old fashion way of a lot of Asian products, the
labels are little help.

Thai tea is my most common beverage all year around. I prefer the tea
without condensed milk and drink it much like "Southern" iced tea - on
the sweet side. We always have a big jug of it in the refrigerator.
I get about a 3 quarts of tea to 4-5 coffee scoops of the powdered
tea.