Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

Default Servers Strike Back -- Cell Phone Usage

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:25:49 -0700, "The Ranger"
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
>let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
>walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
>your order?

What don't you understand about the difference between being a
customer who *pays* for a service and an employee who is *paid* for
providing that service?

Having worked just about every job in the trade - except chef - if a
waiter or waitress (**** that political correct "server" crap) in any
restaurant I owned or managed pulled that kind of stunt, he or she
would be warned once never to repeat it and, should they do it again,
I'd fire them and give them a negative reference.

Restaurant staff are there to serve and treat each customer like an
honoured guest. That's the job they're being paid to do and do well.
It's also a job in which good wait staff can *earn* a decent living in
tips. Note the emphasis on EARN!

So unless the restaurant has a policy prohibiting the use of
cellphones, or you encounter a customer (or customers) who are
abusive, aggressive or touch you in an inappropriate manner, then
their use of a cellphone is none of your business, regardless of it
being bad manners.

BTW - there are times when I have access to a cellphone in a
restaurant because of certain circumstances. I've also been at a table
with doctors or other health professionals who needed to have their
cellphones handy.

But in one particular situation, my cellphone (which I'd turned off
when we were seated) came in handy.

We were seated at a table during a busy lunch time when the restaurant
was so busy that our table was obviously forgotten. After sitting
there for some time I turned on my phone and called the restaurant.

We could hear the phone ring and see the "host" hurry over to answer
it ... at which point I told the host where we were sitting (she
looks), how long we'd been sitting there without service (she looks
away embarrassed) and ask if she could arrange for someone - anyone -
to attend to our table (she turns, smiles and waves).

Within moments our table was looked after (many apologies), or order
taken and delivered and, despite our protests, our bill was written
off by the host.

Did we ever return to that restaurant. You bet. And the service was
always excellent.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>