Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Cell phone safety (was Servers Strike Back -- Cell Phone Usage

Serene wrote on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:26:15 -0700:

> elaich wrote:
>> George > wrote in
>> -
>> september.org:
>>
>>> Should we also have laws that we can't change the station on the
>>> radio or talk to a vehicle
>>> occupant too?
>>>

>> That is a completely different thing. The brain is capable of
>> multitasking in it's normal environment. We are surrounded by
>> sounds that do not distract us from what we are doing. Most
>> people are able to drive while talking to a passenger,
>> changing the radio, etc.

> Not true, and it's also not true that the hands-free option is
> safer.

What do think of the totally hands-free Bluetooth phones? They can be
programmed to autodial simply by speaking a name.

I can't think of any driver who would totally refuse to speak to a
passenger, even if a highly technical conversation might be distracting.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland