Peter Dy

Default Vietnamese table etiquette

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 02:56:07 GMT, "Peter Dy" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >[...]
> >> I use the term 'spring roll' meaning they are wrapped with rice paper
> >> and conatining fresh greens - never fried, just as in thai cuisine.

> >Why do you use it like that? Spring roll is from Chinese chun1juan3,
> >"spring roll", and they are always fried and almost always with wheat
> >wrappers.

> So what do you call fresh vermicelli/salad/meat rolls wrapped in rice
> rehydrated paper and uncooked?

I call them "fresh spring rolls". Mai Pham calls them "salad rolls".
Restaurants mostly call them "spring rolls" though, I guess, can't find my
restaurant menu collection at the moment. I seem to remember them being
called "garden rolls" as well, not sure. In Vietnamese, "cuon" means roll,
so the fresh ones are called "pork roll", "shrimp roll".

Actually, maybe I misunderstood what you wrote. Do you always use "spring
roll" to refer to the fresh Vietnamese rolls, or was it just for that post?

Peter