Peter Dy

Default Vietnamese table etiquette

"amalia" > wrote in message
news:0mKgb.698612$YN5.570958@sccrnsc01...
> "Victor Sack" > wrote in message
> > Steve Wertz > wrote:
> >
> > > I use the term 'spring roll' meaning they are wrapped with rice paper
> > > and conatining fresh greens - never fried, just as in thai cuisine.

> > How would you describe 'cha gio'? I was told (not by a Vietnamese,
> > though) that they are also spring rolls that are fried and served hot.

> Cha gio is filled with julienned vegetables, ground pork and vermicelli,

and
> fried and served hot as you describe. These are usually served with

lettuce
> leaves, vermicelli, herbs and a dipping sauce for you to season and wrap

as
> you like at table. They are smaller and more delicate than the egg rolls
> commonly served in US Chinese restaurants.

More delicate, because they use rice wrappers instead of wheat wrappers as
the Chinese do. In the North, they're called "nem ran".

> OT, but how are Chinese egg rolls served in Europe, or better yet, in

China?

In China, just by themselves usually, as far as I remember. In Europe, just
what a spring/egg roll is differs depending on where you are. In Germany,
they are a unique German creation, rectangular and flat, with a soft, barely
crispy wheat wrapper. Unless things have changed recently. In France, at
least in Paris, they have great "nem ran" in Vietnamese restaurants, served
just like in Vietnam, as you describe. Don't know about how Chinese rolls
are served there though.

BTW, Victor, where in Germany is that Vietnamese restaurant?

Peter