Dan Logcher

Default Heavy Soy Sauce

Allyn B. Brodsky wrote:

> On 03 Oct 2003, Dan Logcher wrote in
> :
>

>>Sounds good. I will try this. I've been trying to make a
>>dipping sauce comperable to Mary Chung's rav sauce. Any
>>thoughts?
>>

> I haven't had that one, but I got into this because the dumpling (er
> "Peking Ravioli" in Boston) sauce at Chang's House across the street
> from me tended to be sweeter, with more garlic, a trace of ginger,
> and some sliced scallion in it. I meant to reduce it to soy, vinegar
> and chili oil. As it turns out, the Hunsty brand chili oil I am using
> now still has a trace of garlic flavor, but it is all right. I'd
> like to find some crushed red chilis in oil, no garlic, next time.
> Given the basic sauce in a dipping plate (Crate and Barrel), it
> wouldn't be hard to add scallion and/garlic, if you prefer.

You should try the ravs at Mary's. They are hand made daily, and the
sauce is a nice hot variety. I know what you mean about the sauces
from most places being sweeter, I do not like a sweet sauce.

> BTW, the dumplings, also from Super 88, I have become most fond of
> are Chinese Brand Pork and Mushroom, 30 oz, 48-50 pieces. The dough
> is less delicate than the Japanese style but they steam up better.

I am very familiar to this brand. I have pruchased these for a while.

> No real idea. I use it mostly for the dumplings, or when I take home
> some sushi, slthough the dark soy is a little overpowering for sushi.
> The size I get is 500 ml (16.9 oz).
>
> I should probably keep the black sesame oil in the refrigerator as
> well, but it seems ok so far.

I go thru sesame oil quicker than I do soy.. but the funny part is
that I have a salt tooth.

> One day we sould meet for an expedition to Shushi Island....

Yes that would be great.

--
Dan