Allyn B. Brodsky

Default Heavy Soy Sauce

On 03 Oct 2003, Dan Logcher wrote in
:

> Allyn B. Brodsky wrote:
>
>> I've started using Mushroom flavored dark soy as part of a
>> dipping sauce (with vinegar, chili oil, and a dash of dark
>> sesame oil) for Chinese dumplings. It is a bit thicker than
>> usual, but has better flavor and not sweeter IMHO.

> Sounds good. I will try this. I've been trying to make a
> dipping sauce comperable to Mary Chung's rav sauce. Any
> thoughts?

I haven't had that one, but I got into this because the dumpling (er
"Peking Ravioli" in Boston) sauce at Chang's House across the street
from me tended to be sweeter, with more garlic, a trace of ginger,
and some sliced scallion in it. I meant to reduce it to soy, vinegar
and chili oil. As it turns out, the Hunsty brand chili oil I am using
now still has a trace of garlic flavor, but it is all right. I'd
like to find some crushed red chilis in oil, no garlic, next time.
Given the basic sauce in a dipping plate (Crate and Barrel), it
wouldn't be hard to add scallion and/garlic, if you prefer.

BTW, the dumplings, also from Super 88, I have become most fond of
are Chinese Brand Pork and Mushroom, 30 oz, 48-50 pieces. The dough
is less delicate than the Japanese style but they steam up better.

>> A variety of bands are available in my local SUper 88, an Asian
>> supermarket. I liked Pearl RIver Bridge, am now trying Lrr Kum
>> Kee (not as thick), and will be trying Hai Tan brand.\

> I'll check the Super 88.

The convenient one for me is at Packard's Cornor. There's a bigger
one further east, I'm tolf, but this is pretty fine.

>> BTW, I have taken to keeping the soy in my refrigerator to
>> avoid the mustiness. As long as it has the time it takes for
>> the dumplings to steam to warm up, it seems fine.

> I've been getting Superior brand soy, which only comes in big
> bottles. I don't have enough room in the fridge for the big
> bottle, so I was wondering if I could put it in a jar and maybe
> freeze most.. or maybe just refridge the jar. I guess I'm
> answering my own question. But please let me know if you have a
> better idea.

No real idea. I use it mostly for the dumplings, or when I take home
some sushi, slthough the dark soy is a little overpowering for sushi.
The size I get is 500 ml (16.9 oz).

I should probably keep the black sesame oil in the refrigerator as
well, but it seems ok so far.

One day we sould meet for an expedition to Shushi Island....

Cheers!
Allyn