Dan Logcher

Default Heavy Soy Sauce

Allyn B. Brodsky wrote:

> I've started using Mushroom flavored dark soy as part of a dipping
> sauce (with vinegar, chili oil, and a dash of dark sesame oil) for
> Chinese dumplings. It is a bit thicker than usual, but has better
> flavor and not sweeter IMHO.

Sounds good. I will try this. I've been trying to make a dipping
sauce comperable to Mary Chung's rav sauce. Any thoughts?

> A variety of bands are available in my local SUper 88, an Asian
> supermarket. I liked Pearl RIver Bridge, am now trying Lrr Kum Kee
> (not as thick), and will be trying Hai Tan brand.\

I'll check the Super 88.

> BTW, I have taken to keeping the soy in my refrigerator to avoid the
> mustiness. As long as it has the time it takes for the dumplings to
> steam to warm up, it seems fine.

I've been getting Superior brand soy, which only comes in big bottles.
I don't have enough room in the fridge for the big bottle, so I was
wondering if I could put it in a jar and maybe freeze most.. or maybe
just refridge the jar. I guess I'm answering my own question. But please
let me know if you have a better idea.

--
Dan