Jim Jones

Default In response to all the recent Thai dish requests...

(Tina Mongkolsmai) wrote in message . com>...

> Wow! You know more about the meanings in noodle dishes than I do!

Tina, you flatter me. There's no question you know more about Thai
food than I do!

> One of my aunts lives near Soi Thonglor.. we used to get these
> terrific soup noodle and lad na/pad siyiu there (they were next door
> to each other) but it closed! Terrible. At least my husband got to
> eat it twice! That was the place he remembered and wanted to eat upon
> returning to Thailand for a short visit.

Lad na is not one of my favorites, but I do enjoy it from time to
time. There was a place in Thonglor (not TOO far in from Sukhumvit)
that I used to get lad na. I wonder if it was the same. Last time I
was there was definitely no more recently than late 2000.

Further up Thonglor on the right hand side as you go toward the khlong
was my favorite khao man gai place. They also had great muu daeng and
laksa. In fact, it was the best laksa I ever had in Thailand. A
Singaporean friend turned us on to it. Alas, she says that it has now
closed. I'm afraid this will happen to a lot of places as Thonglor
continues to get developed and go upscale.

> I like khanom jeen with nam prik or nam ya Lots of fresh bean
> sprouts and long bean are gooood. I haven't had it in awhile. I can
> get the fresh ingredients here, but I use nam ya out of the can.. not
> nearly so good I don't think I've seen nam prik for khanom jeen
> here but I'll have to look it up now. Grr I'm hungry

These are the kind of things I can never get in Korea. I can get good
prepared curry pastes in the markets, but never the full array of raw
materials to do it myself. To do things other than basic curries,
forget about it. I can only by lime leaves, lemongrass, those kind of
things in dried form. I do now have a lemongrass plant growing at my
house. It was a gift from a friend and I don't want to know how many
Korean customs laws were broken to get it to me.

Our maebaan/ajuma/amma is Filipina. She goes to a church with mostly
Filipina domestic workers and sometimes she can get SE Asian
ingredients there at the impromptu market after the service. You
should have seen how excited I was when she brought me green papaya.

In general, though, it is pretty tough to do any real SE Asian cooking
of any stripe here.

My wife is taking an Indian cooking class now from a local Indian
expat wife because we have a hallal market here that tends to carry
most things needed for basic Indian cooking. For now, because of
availability, Japanese, Korean, and Indian are really the only Asian
cuisines we can cook authentically.

> I like guay teow in general, but I'm not big on leurd... I'm not sure
> I've eaten guay teow reur but I watched my aunties eat some when we
> visited the floating market at Damnoen Saduak. That was my first and
> only time actually seeing it. It was too quiet when we went; not very
> realistic But that's ok..

It took me a while to get used to leuat. I always liked nam dok, but
never really liked the cubes. I've learned to eat it and enjoy it in
Korean food so now when I go back to Thailand I enjoy the leuat in
guaytiaow reua, gaeng kiawwaan, etc.

There's an area out north of Bangkok near Nonthaburi (can't remember
the name, but it starts with a "P") that has a small river/large
khlong. It's near the children's science museum. This place is the
best I ever found for guaytiaow reua.

This is fun. Khit tung krungthep!

Jim