Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Donald Bones Donald Bones is offline

Default What I learned about smoking brisket over the last year

Brick wrote:

> Don't try to fix what don't need fixing. I confess though, that I learned
> in a mere
> two years or so to leave stuff alone in the smoker. My only caveat has to
> do
> with eveining out the heat exposure on individual items when I have the
> cooker
> overloaded. Which seems to be too often lately. And I usually turn butts
> 180°
> after about 4 hours in the cooker for the same reason. I never turn stuff
> over.
> When I take stuff out of the cooker, I treat it the same way you do. I've
> often
> hit 205°F in a butt, not that I'm proud of that,but I've always gotten away
> with
> it. I've never had a bad or even poor brisket.

Cool. I've noticed if the smoker is full, I may have to turn whatever's
farthest to the edges, especially poultry. Never had to do that with
brisket or butts, though.
I've had butts at 205, too. Still juicy, but the meat seemed to dissolve
in the mouth. I'm good with that, too.

db