Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Duwop[_2_] Duwop[_2_] is offline

Default What I learned about smoking brisket over the last year

On Jun 17, 10:21*am, Donald Bones > wrote:
> Duwop wrote:
>
> (snip)
>

> >> I'm happy to list my steps if you need them.

> > Naah, I've read enough on cooking brisket to just have confused
> > myself. It always seemed more complicated than it should be,
> > especially since everything else I cook pretty much follows these two
> > steps: 1. (simple) rub 2. cook.

> > Your post refocused me.

> harder than it is. The hardest part for me when I started was keeping
> the temp steady.

I don't even care about that any more, just try to keep it in a range,
how broad that range is depends on the cut of meat. Ribs being the
most restrictive, but everything else it doesn't matter all that much
so let it run from 225-300 with spikes going higher of course. That'll
change a bit depending on if I'm using wood or lump for fuel. Wood
runs hotter, sometimes a lot. Lump seems to run 225-275. I understand
that brisket isn't very sensitive to heat either.

> > Thanks for the offer though. Did you find that rubs make much of a
> > difference? Or not so much?

> I've noticed a pretty big difference, yeah. I've gone from the Texas
> chili power and paprika based rub, to a more sweeter Kansas City
> influenced rub, and like it a lot better. I grew up in Oklahoma, so I'm
> caught between the two. I use my own often enough, but there are a
> couple of rubs on the shelf that are really good. It prolly makes more
> of a difference to me since I go pretty heavy on it. Some folks swear by
> a little salt and pepper, and I guess that's fine, too. Not for me,
> though.

You gonna share it, or is it a secret?